Antiviral and immunostimulatory action that boosts the immune system.
Echinacea is known for its antiviral and immunostimulatory action that boosts the immune system. The main clinical uses of echinacea concern, orally, the prophylaxis and treatment of colds and, by external means, the use topically in inflammatory skin diseases and wounds in which it is necessary to enable tissue regeneration and reduce the risks of infection. The plant is able to strengthen the body's defences against flu or fevers, involving the upper airways. It can be used both as in the prevention and as a remedy during the early stages of the illness. In fact, echinacea reduces both the objective symptoms (swollen lymph nodes, coated tongue etc.) and subjective ones (headache, ear pain, runny nose, watery eyes). Interestingly, by virtue of the anti-inflammatory properties, it is used in the treatment of prostatitis, urethritis and gynaecology, in metritis and adnexitis. Even polyarthritis forms respond positively to treatment with alcoholic extracts of echinacea. Its external use is associated, as previously mentioned, with the cicatrising and skin restoring capacity of the plant, together with anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and decongestant properties. Thanks to the antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and healing capability, it is used in the treatment of ulcers, infected wounds, burns, ulcers and dermatitis.
- Caffeic acid derivatives: 0.3 to 1.7% echinacoside [absent in E. purpurea], cynarin [present only in E. angustifolia], chicory acid [virtually absent in E. angustifolia and present in E. purpurea], chlorogenic acid
- 0.1% essential oil (a-pinene, P-pinene, myrcene, (3-farnesene, humulene, bor¬neolo .. )
- Polysaccharide (arabinogalactan, fucogalactoxiloglucani: in E. purpurea)
- Alcammides: echinaceina, isobutylamides ac. polieninici and polyene [present in E. purpurea and E. angustifolia]
- Flavonoids: luteolin, kaemferolo, quercetin, apigenin ...
- Traces of pirrolozidinici alkaloids (tussilagina, isotussilagina)
Echinacea is also used for the care and beauty of the skin in cases of: eczema, boils and pimples, i
Perennial plant belonging to the Composite family. Native of Central and Southwestern USA.
Therapeutic use: prevention and treatment of colds; ulcers, infected wounds, burns, ulcers and dermatitis (topical)